Introducing the Free avast Anti-Theft Phone Tracker App
Today I would like to tell you about the free avast Anti-Theft phone tracker application. Unlike some cell phone tracking applications that you might read about on my website that are designed to help you keep track of your family and friends, this app is specifically designed to help you track down a lost or stolen smartphone.
First of all, I should point out that this app is designed for smartphones that are running the Google Android operating system. That of course means that you can download it through the Play Store application on your smartphone.
After you have downloaded this app onto your phone, run the application and follow the simple instructions for setting up an account. After you have the application installed on your phone and you have an account set up, you can use the avast Anti-Theft web-based interface to locate a lost or stolen smartphone.
This application uses the GPS receiver that is built into your phone to determine its location but according to the description in the Google Play Store, it may also use triangulation. Since triangulation isn’t as accurate as GPS, I assume that they use this method as a last resort situation when your phone isn’t able to get a good GPS signal.
One of the interesting features that this application has is that it hides itself once the application has been activated. This feature is designed to make the application invisible to would be thieves so they don’t know you have the ability to track down your stolen phone.
Some of the Other Features
Here’s a list of some of the other interesting features that this anti-theft tracking application has.
- SIM Card Change Notification – One of the things that thieves commonly do when they steal a cell phone is to change the SIM card so that they can reactivate the phone. This app has a feature that will notify another device that you have pre-programmed in the application about the change of the SIM card.
- Remote Lock or Remote Wipe – Just because you have the ability to track your stolen phone, it doesn’t mean that you’ll necessarily be able to get it back. The remote lock feature is designed so that you can remotely lock your phone to prevent unauthorized use of it. The remote wipe feature is designed so that you can remotely delete your sensitive personal data off of the phone for occasions when you don’t think you’ll be able to get it back. This will keep your sensitive data safe from any potential identity thieves if you use the feature before the thieves have gained access to your information.
- Remote Photo – This feature will send instructions to the phone that will cause it to take photos. I’m assuming that this is designed so that you can potentially get a photograph of the person who stole your phone.
- Calls and Messages Forwarded to Another Phone – This feature might be handy if you don’t want to miss important text messages or calls immediately after your phone has been stolen.
- Other Features – You can get a full list of the additional features that this application has by visiting the Google Play Store from your smartphone or a computer. Simply type “avast Anti-Theft” into the search box and then select it from the list of results. You can then read the full list of features that are packed into this anti-theft phone tracking application.
Will This Application Actually Help You Get Your Stolen Phone Back?
I’ve listed a few of the features that I find interesting on this application but the real question is will this phone tracking application actually help you retrieve a stolen phone. That’s a difficult question to answer because you have to keep in mind that even though you have the tracking app installed on your phone, it may be difficult to convince the police to retrieve your phone for you. It’s important to keep in mind that just because you have the ability to track your phone, you shouldn’t necessarily confront the person who stole it as this may be dangerous.
I personally don’t think it’s safe to confront the person who stole your phone. Perhaps the most powerful feature on this application is the ability to track a lost phone. If you have lost your phone you can use the tracking feature to find it and recover it.
If your phone has actually been stolen, the remote wipe feature can protect you by deleting any sensitive personal information from the phone. The remote lock feature can then make the phone inoperable to the thief so even if you aren’t able to recover it, they won’t be able to use it.