Using Google Maps to Navigate with Your Smartphone
I usually write about cell phone tracking applications that use GPS here on my website but today I’m going to be writing about a really cool application called “Google Maps” that can turn your smartphone into a handy GPS navigation tool.
Many of the phones you can buy today come with it preinstalled because it’s such a commonly used application. If your phone doesn’t have it installed already, you can download the Google Maps navigation application from your favorite apps store and the good news is that it’s free. Once you have it installed on your phone, you’ll find it labeled “Maps” in your list of applications.
This program will give you turn by turn voice navigation right on your phone if you follow these simple steps.
- Make sure you have GPS turned on for your phone.
- Launch the application on your phone.
- In the search bar at the top of the screen type the address of the place you would like to navigate to.
- Tap the little “car” icon on the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
- A screen will pop up that will tell you how many minutes it will take to drive to the destination that you typed in as well as how many miles away it is.
- If you want to start navigating, just tap the words “Start Navigation” which is found at the bottom of the screen.
- Next a map showing the route you should take will be displayed on your screen along with the direction you should start traveling which will be at the top of your screen.
- As you begin to drive, the instructions on the screen will automatically update and you’ll hear turn by turn voice instructions that describe how to get to your destination.
- At the bottom of your screen you’ll see how much time it will take before you arrive at your destination was well as how many more miles you have to travel and your estimated time of arrival.
There you have it! Just by using this powerful Google navigation application, you can turn your phone into a free GPS navigation tool. Give it a try today!
Warning: It’s never a good idea to manipulate your phone while driving as this can lead to distracted driving which may cause you to have an accident. If you’re going to use this application for navigating while you’re driving, enter the destination address into your phone and start the navigation feature before you begin driving and don’t manipulate your phone while you are driving. It would probably also be a good idea to secure your phone in a hands free cradle so you don’t have to hold it while you’re driving.